When things are in a rush, every body’s got lots to do and you feel the need for extra couple of hours in a day….then comes the spicy yummy meal craving. That’s when one pot meals come in handy.
Don’t you love one pot meals?
There are so many beautiful blogs with great food ideas. Came across this dish in a blog and thought it was a nice idea. Just reminded me of the dish my mum used to make. The interesting thing about the method there was they cooked the dumplings in the curry. First, it’s easier. Secondly, the dumplings are way more flavorful when it’s cooked in sauce. So that’s what I did and it turned out great.
A simple, healthy and easy Indian curry which goes perfect with some flatbread(rotis).
- ½ medium OPA SQUASH or BOTTLE GOURD
- ½ cup of chickpea flour
- ½ tsp chilly powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 2 tsp ginger/garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes finely diced
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1 tsp curry powder(optional)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut water(optional)or plain water
- 1 cup water
- Prepare the squash by peeling it, cutting the core off and grating it. Put it in a cheese cloth and take out all the water.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the squash, chickpea flour, and the other ingredients for the dumpling. The mixture should be a stiff one, you should be able to make dumplings. Adjust the chickpea flour accordingly. It should not be too stiff either, then the dumplings will not be moist.
- In a cast iron pan or any non-stick pan. Add 2 tsp of olive oil. Add the very finely chopped onions and let it brown for a minute.
- Add the ginger/garlic paste and fry until the raw smell disappears. Add the tomatoes and all the other ingredients for the curry with coconut water and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Make small portions of the dumpling and add it to the curry while it is simmering. Put a lid on the pan and let cook for another 15 minutes on simmer. Check for water every 5 minutes, the curry has to be liquid and not too dry.
- SErve hot with some buttered rotis or Naan.
DEGI Chilly powder
which is milder and has a vibrant orange-red color to it.
. Copyright 2013 – Food Fashion Party