Happy Summer my friends!!
I am looking forward to those summer cool night walks.
The foraging we do on our hikes.
The warmish sea that we can dip our feet in.
The late mornings.
The late nights.
Movies, Books and Cooking with boys.
We really do have so much to celebrate. The beautiful shining sun, the cool shade, the long talks with friends. Vacations and family.
The fresh bounty in the markets. The trees all showering us with their fruits. All the summer picnics, the gallons of lemonade, and beautiful summer cakes.
Let’s celebrate summer with this beautiful cake/torte/tart.
This definitely is a denser tart kind of a cake because it is baked twice. It’s quite an easy cake, but packs a huge presence.
The frangipane makes it rich, while the fruits make it fresh and summery. The cake base is my basic Orange cake that I used, and it works great every time.
Hope you get to make this beautiful cake this summer.
I will be in Indian this summer and can’t wait to write about it in future posts. I might do a post dedicated to Bangalore..
What are your plans?
HAPPY SUMMER!! Sending you all hugs.
- 1¼ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs separated
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp Orange Juice
- Zest of one whole orange
- pinch of salt
- 4 ounces shelled raw unsalted pistachios
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (½ stick)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Garnish with berries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line the base and sides of a 20cm square or round baking tin.
- Sift All Purpose Flour+baking powder+salt+ powdered sugar
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks
- Mix oil+yolks+orange juice+zest.
- Add the dry ingredients, all purpose flour and everything with the oil, yolks, orange juice and zest. Mix well to incorporate everything.
- Then fold in the egg white in 3 parts to incorporate well.
- Pour in round pan and bake for about 30 minutes in a 325 degree oven or until it golden brown, will be not be cooked through. Let cool for 20 minutes until you can proceed.
- In your food processor, grind the pistachios, flour, salt, and sugar to a powder (or as fine as you can make it!). Add the butter and process until no longer visible. Add egg and vanilla, blending until it forms a smooth paste.
- Spread the filling over the cooked base. To decorate like I have in the photos, cut the nectarines/apricots into diagonal strips, then slide each half onto a knife and fan over the pistachio frangipane. Alternatively, you could put the halves straight on or cut the stone fruits into slices and decorate as you wish.
- Bake the cake in a 325 degree oven for 45- 50 minutes, or until they are golden and a skewer inserted into the pistachio comes out clean.Around mid point of the bake, turn the cake pan and sprinkle some sugar for the extra caramalised bits.
- Leave in pan to cool.
- Decorate with more berries and serve with some Ice cream.
Follow me on Snapchat and I’ll take you around Beijing and Bangalore. Snapchat-Ashfoodfashion
‘ALL RIGHTS RESERVED’
ALL IMAGES AND POST COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. Do NOT copy it, do not use it anywhere without our consent. PLEASE give due credit if you do recreate it for your blog with your own special touches.